30.7.09

IE8

I am an Internet Explorer kind of gal. I have heard millions of theories about Firefox's awesomeness, but I stick to the old school. Old school to ME. I like to apply new technology but with a certain limit. I installed Firefox on my PC and tried to use it, but I didn't have the patience to switch. So don't tell me that I am narrow minded.

I wrote this to express my thumbs up for the newest version of IE. Today I was working in HTML without previously saving my progress, with about 3 tabs open. I opened another tab to submit a photo and the tab crashed because the folder that I opened has too many photos. That led to the crash of the entire IE.

I was expecting to find my whole HTML page destroyed, but the explorer re-opened immediately and NO DATA was lost. If I closed my eyes for 2 seconds and opened them, I wouldn't have figured out that my explorer crashed. I know this is old news for geeks but it made me smile. So I continued my job as if nothing ever crashed.

  • Automatic Tab crash recovery - awesome feature about which I just talked.

  • InPrivate browsing - "InPrivate Browsing in Internet Explorer 8 helps prevent your browsing history, temporary Internet files, form data, cookies, and usernames and passwords from being retained by the browser, leaving no evidence of your browsing or search history. InPrivate Filtering provides users an added level of control and choice about the information that third party websites can potentially use to track browsing activity. InPrivate Subscriptions allow you to augment the capability of InPrivate Blocking by subscribing to lists of websites to block or allow." [wikipedia] That is another very useful feature. I should actually use it more often. :D

  • Suggested Sites - so much easier to access the latest sites.

Deleting URLs from the address bar. I always wondered when they were going to add this.

Also the whole coloring of tabs based on category is both useful and fun.

IE8 made a happy geek out of me.

1 comment:

Michael said...

IE8, la fel ca și Mozilla, este un browser foarte bun pentru un utilizator obișnuit, dar, pentru cineva care creează site-uri zi de zi este încă un browser "special" de care trebuie să țină cont. IE6, IE7, IE8, Mozilla, Opera, Safari și noua apariție, Chrome de la Google nu respectă pe deplin nici un fel de standard. Sunt ca și fulgii de zăpadă... Toate seamănă, dar, fiecare e unic. Bine, IE6 nu prea mai poate fi numit un browser deoarece își bate efectiv joc de site-urile moderne.

Din acest motiv o să vezi CSS-uri pline de hack-uri și JavaScript-uri scrise cu picioarele pentru a "acomoda" diversele implementări.

Dar, aia e. N-ai ce-i face. Clientul are întotdeauna dreptate... :P