19.3.10

I am having...


You see, what burns the most in people's hearts isn't the will TO BE, but the will TO HAVE. Having makes a person feel confident, sometimes even too confident, happy, determined. It starts from the simplest thing, like having a chocolate and it gets followed by having a powerful car, a status.

There are rare cases in which someone asks you "ARE YOU in a relationship?". Usually, it's "Do you HAVE a boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/fuck buddy?". There are also rare cases in which one could say "I am feeling", most would say "I HAVE a feeling".

In Romanian this future example doesn't appear so often, but take English for example: people say "I love HAVING sex" more often than "I like making love" or "I like sex". Yes, that is an expression, but the expression was formed around the verb "to have", instead of any other verb [I wasn't talking about the difference between making love and having sex here].

"Do you HAVE a job?" instead of "ARE you employed?" or "ARE you working?"; "Do you HAVE kids?" instead of "ARE you a parent?".

The list goes on. What is interesting is that for a person, having is the center of all existence, the definition of his own achievements or disappointments, while being isn't very important. Being usually revolves around a social status, like "I AM a businessman" or "I AM rich.".


*But I AM HAVING a problem and it's off topic: they say that I should get an alert if my blog is published via FTP, but I get no alert. Does that mean that I AM not publishing on FTP and I might skip the migration? Michael?

2 comments:

Michael said...

We should really discuss this on messenger. You'll be able to reach me on sunday. Sorry for the delay [I'll be at the Agalloch concert in Brașov tommorow :P] I hope that it can wait until then...

asheara said...

Pai da, normal, suntem in criza valorizarii, si asta paradoxal pentru ca nu mai operam cu doua lumi, de unde si ideea ca "toata povestea asta cu spiritul a inceput sa puta". Si asta este cu atat mai paradoxal cu cat, pare-se, aceasta trebuia sa fie garantia salvarii noastre, ca si cum intelegerea lui "aici si acum" ar fi scos omul din hibernare. Partea proasta este ca nu a reusit decat sa imparta oamenii pe tabere, insa nimeni nu este practic in tabara potrivita si nu stie cum ar putea sa ajunga acolo... in ciuda faptului ca, nu-i asa, "toti ne consideram inventatorii fericirii".